Salient features of National Waterway No. 5 - Brahmani river & Mahanadi delta system along with East Coast Canal (NW-5)
The Talcher- Dhamra stretch of river Brahmani, Geonkhali- Charbatia stretch of East Coast Canal, Charbatia- Dhamra stretch of Matai river and Mangalgadi-Paradip stretch of Mahanadi delta rivers (NW-5, 623 km)
Declared as National Waterway 5 (NW 5) on 25.11.2008
Detailed Project Report (DPR) prepared by M/s. WAPCOS
Length - 588 km.
River portion (371 km)
Canal portion (217 km)
Estimated Cost (at 2009 prices)
(i) Cost for development of River portion Rs. 2230 cr (Barrages- 1843 cr)
(ii) Cost of development of canal portion Rs. 1979 cr (Dredging- 1273 cr)
(iii) Total Cost Rs. 4209 crore
Period of Completion - 7 years
in West Bengal - 846 Ha
in Orissa - 1172 Ha required
Estimated cost of land acquisition - Rs. 176 Crore
Details of dredging
River portion - 10.07 million cum
Canal portion - 44.77 million cum
To maintain LAD of 2 m in the Brahmani river all through the year, 5 barrages with height equal to the highest flood level are proposed to be constructed at every 26 km between Talcher and Jokadia. Each barrage will have a navigational lock to allow passage of two 500 tonne vessels at a time.
Coal from Talcher to Dhamra and Paradip ports is the most important potential cargo for this waterway. Immediately after the development of the waterway, it is estimated in the DPR that about 11 million tonne of cargo can be transported per year which can go up to 23 million tonne in next 15 years or so.
River portion 31.77%
Canal portion 12.75%
Rive and canal together 23.75%
Phase – I activities are as follows :-
- Detailed Hydrographic Survey (Phase-II) from Talcher to Pankapal : 120 Km length- completed in October, 2020.
- Monthly Thalweg Survey (Phase–I) from Pankapal to Dhamra - Paradip via. Mangalgadi : 230 LKM per month – Monthly Thalweg Survey conducted & LAD report issued monthly basis.
- Consultancy for preparation of DPR including FEED for construction of 4 Weirs cum Barrages with 3 Navigation locks, 2 Check Dams & 1 Rubber Dam with Nav. Lock (Phase-I) – The DPR is likely to be completed by March, 2021.
- Consultancy for preparation of DER including DEDD for Modification / Reconstruction of existing Bridges on NW-5 (Phase-I) – The DPR is likely to be completed by March, 2021.
- EIA / EMP study between Paradip / Dhamra and Pankapal (Fairway development) (Phase-I).
- Shifting / Relocation of HT / LT Power lines in NW-5 (Phase-I)- The work was entrusted to Govt. of Odisha (Deposit basis).